Preschool Teacher – Indianapolis St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf – Indianapolis has an immediate opening for a full-time preschool teacher for the 2017/2018 school year. The teacher is a member of the faculty and creates and carries out lessons and activities which are designed to provide an appropriate education for each child in his/her class. The teacher assesses each student’s progress regarding audition, language, and speech while making decisions consistent with the school’s philosophy, policies and regulations. The teacher collaborates and communicates effectively with parents, therapists, supervisor, and other faculty members. This position follows the academic calendar and reports to the school’s director/president. Main Position Responsibilities:
- Develop, plan, and implement an appropriate education program for each child in class.
- Develop annual goals for each student designed to enable the child to reach his/her full potential in all areas.
- Evaluate and document student progress on a regular basis ensuring adequate progress in the areas of listening, language and speech as well as academics is made.
- Maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning, provides differentiated experiences to meet variable needs and abilities of students, and engender motivation and enthusiasm in the classroom.
- Maintain professional standards and growth through attendance at workshops, participation in appropriate professional development opportunities, and reading professional literature.
- Maintain necessary records and files and writes reports as required. Prepare progress reports, IEP goals, documentation, and evaluations per standards set in department; meets with parents to discuss goals, objectives and to report progress.
- Complete daily hearing aid, cochlear implant, and FM system checks. Effectively use classroom amplification systems. Evaluate auditory status of students in classroom and seeks assistance as necessary.
- Attend faculty, department meetings, as well as other meetings as requested by department supervisor or program director.